Written by Andrea Brundage
I have learned that reducing holiday stress can be a reality. By planning ahead, asking for help, and learning not to take on more than you should, you too can enjoy (In-Joy) a marvelous holiday. My goal as a professional organizer is to transform lives and living environments into peaceful places, and this is particularly important during the holidays. I want you to truly “In-Joy” the holidays this year and in the years to come.
Below are tips that may make your holidays a little less stressed so that you can be more “present” to yourself and to others. Decide this year to control your environment versus allowing your environment to control you.
5-Tips to Help You “In-Joy” the Holidays
- Identify what's most important to you. What is your vision of the true spirit of the season? Make decisions this season that are in alignment with that vision.
- Be realistic about your finances. Love is not measured by price tags and the number of gifts under the tree. Stay within your budget and do not overextend yourself by impulse buying.
- If you are stressed out due to family dynamics or social situations, try to reframe your thinking. You cannot control others but you CAN control your reaction to others. If there are toxic people in your life that you cannot avoid, limit your interactions and time with them.
- Create your own traditions. If you are pulled in too many directions with extended family obligations, consider lovingly advising them that you are starting you own family traditions this year and invite them to participate, if you so choose.
- This your holiday, too. Limit stress by planning ahead. Implement effective time management techniques. Ask for help. Simplify gift giving. Do not over commit. Be mindful, be grateful, be present.
Andrea Brundage is a professional organizer and founder of Simple Organized Solutions S.O.S.). She is available for speaking engagements, self-improvement workshops, and employee training programs offering topics such as "Tackling Time Management Techniques," "Chaos into Calm," "Maintaining Balance in an Unbalanced World," and others. Visit www.sos-llc.com or contact her at (480) 382-1085